PDA

View Full Version : CRC Checksum Failed Message after Firmware Update

BestRadarDetectors
06-22-2016, 07:20 AM
If you receive this message after the latest firmware update there is nothing wrong with your system or the firmware update. The latest firmware will check to make sure you are using a new Configuration file and will display this error if you are not running a current configuration file. You will need to run a Factory Reset which will clear your existing settings and load the default settings file. If you are only running Laser this will default LID settings to 4 seconds and bring you back into Defense settings until you get a chance to load a new Config.alp file, If you are running Radar you will need to immediately load a new file with your Radar settings because there is no default for Radar.

radargeek
06-22-2016, 10:50 AM
If you have a new config file ready when you do the firmware update, you don't need to do the factory defaults. Just load the config and you'll be good to go.

I did mine with a USB that had both the firmware and a new config.alp. The firmware loaded, I got the checksum error, then Data Stored, and everything was fine.

Holla
06-22-2016, 11:58 AM
Anytime I install any new firmware I automatically just make a config file and put that on my USB stick and load them both at the same time--eliminates the headaches :)

modsl55amg
06-22-2016, 01:02 PM
If you have a new config file ready when you do the firmware update, you don't need to do the factory defaults. Just load the config and you'll be good to go.

I did mine with a USB that had both the firmware and a new config.alp. The firmware loaded, I got the checksum error, then Data Stored, and everything was fine.

Hi radargeek, When I went to load the new Control Box firmware 5.2.5/6.8 last night (Uxxxxxxx.bin), I also had the three additional, newly generated, files on my USB flash drive. (UCSTHIFI.BIN, VOICEPCK.ALP, CONFIG.ALP). A few seconds after receiving the CHECKSUM FAILED verbal warning, I received DATA STORED. But I was not sure if all of the downloads were really complete, or if there was some type of an error in the download process. That is why I stopped, and asked questions on this Forum, before proceeding to perform a RESTORE DEFAULTS AND MEMORIZE SENSORS, then try the complete download again. The system gave me a DATA STORED within a couple of seconds after I inserted the USB flash drive, and everything on the PRINT USE STATISTICS AND DEVICE INFORMATION checked out to be identical to each of the three Configuration Profiles A/B/C.

BestRadarDetectors
06-22-2016, 01:08 PM
Hi radargeek, When I went to load the new Control Box firmware 5.2.5/6.8 last night (Uxxxxxxx.bin), I also had the three additional, newly generated, files on my USB flash drive. (UCSTHIFI.BIN, VOICEPCK.ALP, CONFIG.ALP). A few seconds after receiving the CHECKSUM FAILED verbal warning, I received DATA STORED. But I was not sure if all of the downloads were really complete, or if there was some type of an error in the download process. That is why I stopped, and asked questions on this Forum, before proceeding to perform a RESTORE DEFAULTS AND MEMORIZE SENSORS, then try the complete download again. The system gave me a DATA STORED within a couple of seconds after I inserted the USB flash drive, and everything on the PRINT USE STATISTICS AND DEVICE INFORMATION checked out to be identical to each of the three Configuration Profiles A/B/C.

You were fine.. There was nothing wrong with the firmware update and trying to install firmware again would just be ignored since you cant install new firmware if the installed version is the same or newer than what you are trying to load.

modsl55amg
06-22-2016, 01:09 PM
Anytime I install any new firmware I automatically just make a config file and put that on my USB stick and load them both at the same time--eliminates the headaches :)

Hi Holla, When I install a new firmware update, I [U]always[U] also load the other three files, just in case there is something that changed within any of the files. When I heard the CHECKSUM FAILED warning, that I had never heard before, nor have I ever read about anyone ever receiving such a warning, I did nothing else until Tom/BRD advised me to just perform the RESTORE DEFAULTS AND MEMORIZE SENSORS function, then load everything again, which was successful. All functions appear to be performing normally.

modsl55amg
06-22-2016, 01:18 PM
You were fine.. There was nothing wrong with the firmware update and trying to install firmware again would just be ignored since you cant install new firmware if the installed version is the same or newer than what you are trying to load.

Hi Tom/BRD, No problem, but I am just wondering/curious as to exactly what caused the CHECKSUM FAILED to occur? Will we have to perform a Restore Defaults and Memorize Sensors during future Control Box updates?

I had previously performed a Restore Defaults and Memorize Sensors, when it was mandatory to do so a couple of updates back. When I performed the Restore Defaults and Memorize Sensors late last night, the Configuration Settings reverted back to the Default settings, as they are supposed to do. When I went to download all four files again, the only file that was actually loaded was, most likely, my Configuration with the 3 Profiles A/B/C, as I did hear a Data Stored message a few seconds after inserting the USB flash drive into the system's USB port, for the second time.

BestRadarDetectors
06-22-2016, 01:27 PM
Hi Tom/BRD, No problem, but I am just wondering/curious as to exactly what caused the CHECKSUM FAILED to occur? Will we have to perform a Restore Defaults and Memorize Sensors during future Control Box updates?

I had previously performed a Restore Defaults and Memorize Sensors, when it was mandatory to do so a couple of updates back. When I performed the Restore Defaults and Memorize Sensors late last night, the Configuration Settings reverted back to the Default settings, as they are supposed to do. When I went to download all four files again, the only file that was actually loaded was, most likely, my Configuration with the 3 Profiles A/B/C, as I did hear a Data Stored message a few seconds after inserting the USB flash drive into the system's USB port, for the second time.

We changed the settings file with the addition of the Net Radar and additional future additions and the check failed when the ALP checked the installed configuration file to see if it was the right format. The Error clearly tells you this and it does not say that the firmware failed only that there was a CRC Checksum error (Because old config file is loaded) and tells you to run a Factory Reset to load a new default Configuration file or you can load a new custom Configuration file with your updated settings.

modsl55amg
06-22-2016, 02:00 PM
We changed the settings file with the addition of the Net Radar and additional future additions and the check failed when the ALP checked the installed configuration file to see if it was the right format. The Error clearly tells you this and it does not say that the firmware failed only that there was a CRC Checksum error (Because old config file is loaded) and tells you to run a Factory Reset to load a new default Configuration file or you can load a new custom Configuration file with your updated settings.

Hi Tom, I really don't want to beat this to death, but.....OK, the "Checksum Failed, Restore Defaults" was due to my loading a Config file that did not have the Net Radar, etc. in it. I can understand that, but there was nothing that clearly told me what was causing the "Error" and the resultant CHECKSUM FAILED message. You are correct in that the system did not state that the firmware loading failed, but I had no idea what to do other than to perform a Restore Defaults function, per the verbal message. I did not know what caused the "Error" and the CHECKSUM FAILED message, I did not know what, if anything, had happened to the firmware/software in the system, or if it had been corrupted. From your advice last night, and today, it is now clear that I could have either Restored the Settings to the Default selections, or load a new Configuration file that contained the Net radar functions, which I did last night. Everything appears to be operating correctly, and a comparison of the system's Device Information and Profile A/B/C settings match my hard copies of my Configuration Profile A/B/C selections.

What does CRC stand for? If I remember correctly, I also saw it in a post last night. Thanks for the explanations, all is OK at this time.

BestRadarDetectors
06-22-2016, 02:10 PM
Hi Tom, I really don't want to beat this to death, but.....OK, the "Checksum Failed, Restore Defaults" was due to my loading a Config file that did not have the Net Radar, etc. in it. I can understand that, but there was nothing that clearly told me what was causing the "Error" and the resultant CHECKSUM FAILED message. You are correct in that the system did not state that the firmware loading failed, but I had no idea what to do other than to perform a Restore Defaults function, per the verbal message. I did not know what caused the "Error" and the CHECKSUM FAILED message, I did not know what, if anything, had happened to the firmware/software in the system, or if it had been corrupted. From your advice last night, and today, it is now clear that I could have either Restored the Settings to the Default selections, or load a new Configuration file that contained the Net radar functions, which I did last night. Everything appears to be operating correctly, and a comparison of the system's Device Information and Profile A/B/C settings match my hard copies of my Configuration Profile A/B/C selections.

What does CRC stand for? If I remember correctly, I also saw it in a post last night. Thanks for the explanations, all is OK at this time.

No, The error was when the firmware was installed and the firmware checked your already installed settings file. Immediately afterwards and you heard the Data Stored message all was done and good to go when the system loaded your new configuration file.

radargeek
06-22-2016, 02:18 PM
Perhaps a future voice pack update could change that message to something like "Configuration Checksum Bad, Restore Defaults" so it's clear it's the configuration and not the firmware that has the bad checksum. Or to make it clearer for non-techies, "Configuration is invalid, Restore Defaults."

CRC stands for Cyclic Redundancy Check, which is just an algorithm for generating checksums.

I just remembered that my dashcam was recording when I did my update, so I pulled the footage, so you can hear what it sounds like. In my case, I had a new config.alp already on the USB, so immediately after the "Checksum Failed" it loaded the new config and said "Data Stored" and everything was set back the way I wanted. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgbLNFiFvDQ

BestRadarDetectors
06-22-2016, 02:56 PM
Perhaps a future voice pack update could change that message to something like "Configuration Checksum Bad, Restore Defaults" so it's clear it's the configuration and not the firmware that has the bad checksum. Or to make it clearer for non-techies, "Configuration is invalid, Restore Defaults."

CRC stands for Cyclic Redundancy Check, which is just an algorithm for generating checksums.

I just remembered that my dashcam was recording when I did my update, so I pulled the footage, so you can hear what it sounds like. In my case, I had a new config.alp already on the USB, so immediately after the "Checksum Failed" it loaded the new config and said "Data Stored" and everything was set back the way I wanted. :)

We higher professional artists for our voices and it makes no sense to pay for a recording session for only a few new terms. When we get several new terms that we need to get recorded we do a session for them and put out a new voice pack.

modsl55amg
06-22-2016, 05:37 PM

Hi radargeek, First, Thank You for clarifying what CRC stands for. It may not actually be important for the system user to know what it stands for, but I had never seen it before, even after working with software engineers during numerous Test and Evaluation programs.

Secondly. Thanks for the video! That is exactly what I heard when I loaded all four new files on to my system last night. And, just as in your video, after hearing the "Checksum Failed, Restore Defaults", I then heard "Data Stored". I just didn't know, nor do I still know, exactly what data was stored at the very end of the loading process. So I performed the "Restore Defaults" function, which defaulted all of my Configuration Settings to the Default Settings (I checked them to verify this), then I reinstalled a newly generated Configuration with Profiles A/B/C. I also checked to verify the new settings were in the system....they were. Maybe I didn't have to perform a "Restore Defaults" function, if the next file loaded after that message was the new Configuration file I originally had on my flash drive, and that is the file that loaded at the very end, to which to system stated "Data Stored".

So, all is well, everything appears to be operating correctly. I just didn't know exactly what was taking place, or why it was taking place, that is why I started asking questions. So now I do!?

By the way.....what is all that beeping in your video???

radargeek
06-22-2016, 08:21 PM
"Data Stored" is always what it says when it loads a new configuration off a USB.

The beeping? I had the driver's door open with the ignition in ACC mode (to power the ALP) so the car was beeping at me. Toward the end you can hear my V1 go off on laser when the ALP went through its startup self test.