PDA

View Full Version : Anomalies Encountered After Performing the Recent 3/12/2016 Firmware Upgrade

modsl55amg
03-23-2016, 01:00 AM
I realize Tom/BRD will not be available for the next few days, but I am posting the following in order to see if anyone can shed some light and/or explanations regarding the anomalies I encountered after upgrading the two ALP systems on my cars this past weekend.

I am not attributing either of the anomalies to the recent firmware upgrades. It is just that I observed them after performing the firmware upgrades and testing the two ALP systems with an AL Pocket Laser Tester. I used the ALP Pocket Laser Tester to verify continuity of each of the five sensors connected, to each of the two ALP systems, when receiving each of the nine pre-programmed LIDAR frequencies. I also check to verify that the correct audio and visual (LED) alerts are correctly provided by each of the two ALP systems, depending upon which Configuration (A/B/C) I have selected.

ANOMALY 1. When pre-programmed frequency 4 (TraffiPatrol XR) is selected, and transmitted toward each of the 10 total sensors on the two ALP systems, there is no alert from either of the ALP systems.

My question regarding this anomaly: Is TraffiPatrol XR used in the USA? If "Yes", it appears that my ALP Pocket Laser Tester may not be emitting/transmitting the correct TraffiPatrol XR LIDAR signal. If the ALP Pocket Laser Tester is emitting/transmitting the correct TraffiPatrol XR signal, the ALP systems are not alerting to the TraffiPatrol XR signals.

ANOMALY 2. When pre-programmed frequency 9 (DragonEye Compact) is selected, and transmitted toward each of the 10 total sensors on the two systems, which are in the Pro Mode selection, there is a difference in the alert provided by the ALP systems, depending upon which sensor is being tested.

For example, transmitting toward the Driver's Side Front Sensor, or the Passenger Side Front Sensor, or the Driver's Side Rear Sensor, the system alert is: Whoop, Whoop, DragonEye Ahead/Behind, then the buzzer-like sound for the duration of the test. This appears to be the normal programmed alert.

However, when pre-programmed frequency 9 (DragonEye Compact) is selected, and transmitted toward the Front Center Sensor, or the Passenger Side Rear Sensor, on either car, the system alert is Whoop, Whoop, DragonEye Ahead/Behind, BUT there is NO buzzer-like sound, there is an extremely fast Whoo, Whoo, Whoo, Whoo, for the duration of the test. The Whoo Whoo emitted by each ALP system after the type LIDAR gun signal received is announced, is not the full Whoop Whoop, it is truncated and repeats extremely fast.

When I tested my first car and the anomaly of not receiving the buzzer-like sound when the Front Center Sensor and the Passenger's Side Rear Sensor took place, I thought that maybe there was something going wrong with those two sensors. But, after testing my second car and obtaining the same results as my first car, it has me very curious and interested as to why the difference in alerts is taking place with the Front Center Sensors, and the Driver's Side Rear Sensors.

I performed the above tests numerous times, on two separate days, with the exact same results.

Can anyone provide a reason for the difference in the alerts emitted by the systems when the Front Center Sensors or the Driver's Side Rear Sensors are tested versus the alerts emitted when the other six sensors are tested using the ALP Pocket Laser Tester pre-programmed frequency 9 (DragonEye Compact) ???

FYI: During private testing sessions with RedRocket, using a modified testing procedure, both cars were JTG/JFG.

If no one can provide an answer, I will call Tom/BRD's attention to this post when he returns.

Thanks in advance !

dinkydi
03-23-2016, 04:03 AM
if the self test is ok on start up then presume all is ok, i have one of the old testers and some times takes a while to trigger the ecu i have to keep moving it around the sensor until it alarms , but out in wild all good

winterbrew
03-23-2016, 04:29 AM
ANOMALY 1 - TraffiPatrol XR is not used in the USA, so a USA region CPU will not alert to this gun, or an accurate emulation of it on a tester (the ALP tester does have accurate emulations unlike other cheaper testers)

ANOMALY 2 - sorry, can't help with this one

BestRadarDetectors
03-23-2016, 05:39 AM
There is no issue.. Pro mode is a like a doppler and the sound is different with every random pull of the trigger from the Compact. Other Dragon Algo is not random.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

radargeek
03-23-2016, 10:16 AM
The Dragon algorithm relies on 2 or more heads seeing the signal while jamming. When using a tester fired at a single head, the response may vary from head to head because of this. The ALP treats each head differently when jamming Dragons. This is why port F2 always has to have a head connected and it be the center head when running a triple up front.

Traffipatrol XR isn't used in the USA so the USA ALP doesn't alert to this one. Same for Reigl and Laveg.

modsl55amg
03-23-2016, 09:40 PM
The Dragon algorithm relies on 2 or more heads seeing the signal while jamming. When using a tester fired at a single head, the response may vary from head to head because of this. The ALP treats each head differently when jamming Dragons. This is why port F2 always has to have a head connected and it be the center head when running a triple up front.

Traffipatrol XR isn't used in the USA so the USA ALP doesn't alert to this one. Same for Reigl and Laveg.

Thanks, radargeek, for the info regarding the TraffiPatrol XR.

Concerning the different alert sounds on the exact same 4 sensors versus the alert sounds for the remaining 6 sensors on the two ALP systems on my two cars.....I think you have "hit the nail on the head". This is exactly what I was wondering about, when there is a different sound from the front center sensor. A front center sensor seems to be extremely important, and seems to be almost a requirement, in order to defend against the DET. Then, when I also found that the right rear sensor made the same alert sound, I felt that the right rear sensor might do something different when defending against the DET, maybe something like the Front Center Sensor is doing, whatever that is.

To explain the situation again, I can duplicate/replicate the test I conducted over and over and over, etc. . With my two ALP systems, on two different cars, set to Unlimited and Pro Mode, no matter how many times I transmit pre-progammed frequency 9 (DET) towards the Driver's Side Front sensor, the Passenger Side Front Sensor, and the Driver's Side Rear sensor, I get the buzzer-like sound after the initial "Whop Whoop, Dragon Eye Ahead/Behind, buzzer-like sound" until I stop transmitting. However, when I transmit frequency 9 (DET) towards the Front Center sensor, or the Passenger Side Rear sensor, I get the alert "Whoop Whoop, Dragon Eye Ahead/Behind, then NO BUZZER-LIKE SOUND, BUT AN EXTREMELY QUICK WHO WHO WHO WHO". The Who Who Who sounds like a truncated/shortened version of the Whoop Whoop. THE EXACT SAME TEST RESULTS CAN BE DUPLICATED/REPLICATED OVER AND OVER AGAIN, THEY NEVER CHANGE. I realize that in a real-life situation the system would have been "Killed' long before the "Buzzer-like sound" alert, or the "No buzzer-like sound alert but "Who Who" alert instead, so no one would have ever heard the difference. In a real-life encounter the system would have done its job, the driver would have done his/her job and "killed" the system, so everything is OK. But, I am curious/interested to know WHY the DIFFERENT alert sounds for the full DET alerts from ONLY the Front Center and the Passenger Side Rear sensors, no matter how many times I transmit towards those two sensors in numerous tests.

I realize this is not a "life or death" inquiry, just a curiosity question, due to my interest in wanting to know WHY my ALP systems do what they do, when they do it.

Thanks for everyone's replies.

awj223
03-24-2016, 06:23 PM
Thanks, radargeek, for the info regarding the TraffiPatrol XR.

Concerning the different alert sounds on the exact same 4 sensors versus the alert sounds for the remaining 6 sensors on the two ALP systems on my two cars.....I think you have "hit the nail on the head". This is exactly what I was wondering about, when there is a different sound from the front center sensor. A front center sensor seems to be extremely important, and seems to be almost a requirement, in order to defend against the DET. Then, when I also found that the right rear sensor made the same alert sound, I felt that the right rear sensor might do something different when defending against the DET, maybe something like the Front Center Sensor is doing, whatever that is.

To explain the situation again, I can duplicate/replicate the test I conducted over and over and over, etc. . With my two ALP systems, on two different cars, set to Unlimited and Pro Mode, no matter how many times I transmit pre-progammed frequency 9 (DET) towards the Driver's Side Front sensor, the Passenger Side Front Sensor, and the Driver's Side Rear sensor, I get the buzzer-like sound after the initial "Whop Whoop, Dragon Eye Ahead/Behind, buzzer-like sound" until I stop transmitting. However, when I transmit frequency 9 (DET) towards the Front Center sensor, or the Passenger Side Rear sensor, I get the alert "Whoop Whoop, Dragon Eye Ahead/Behind, then NO BUZZER-LIKE SOUND, BUT AN EXTREMELY QUICK WHO WHO WHO WHO". The Who Who Who sounds like a truncated/shortened version of the Whoop Whoop. THE EXACT SAME TEST RESULTS CAN BE DUPLICATED/REPLICATED OVER AND OVER AGAIN, THEY NEVER CHANGE. I realize that in a real-life situation the system would have been "Killed' long before the "Buzzer-like sound" alert, or the "No buzzer-like sound alert but "Who Who" alert instead, so no one would have ever heard the difference. In a real-life encounter the system would have done its job, the driver would have done his/her job and "killed" the system, so everything is OK. But, I am curious/interested to know WHY the DIFFERENT alert sounds for the full DET alerts from ONLY the Front Center and the Passenger Side Rear sensors, no matter how many times I transmit towards those two sensors in numerous tests.

I realize this is not a "life or death" inquiry, just a curiosity question, due to my interest in wanting to know WHY my ALP systems do what they do, when they do it.

Thanks for everyone's replies.

I think there's something asymmetric about the way the ALP jams those guns. In other words, the F2 head has a different role than the F1 and F3 heads. If there weren't, you would be able to put any head in any port. I'm assuming that Passenger Side Rear is plugged into R2 on your systems? If you've got an IR camera that can "see" the infrared pulses, I'd be interested in seeing if there's any visible difference between what's happening at each head.

RedRocket
03-24-2016, 07:33 PM
You guys keep pokin'' around in the nooks n' crannies findings things, & before you know it the whole puzzle is assembled.

modsl55amg
03-25-2016, 12:15 AM
You guys keep pokin'' around in the nooks n' crannies findings things, & before you know it the whole puzzle is assembled.

Hi RedRocket....I'm assuming you are saying that this subject should be dropped. This just started off by my observation of something that I thought was an anomaly and inquiring about it. I did not know if what I observed was normal, or if my systems were experiencing a problem which may or may not have been due to the upgrade I loaded the day before my observations. I feel that the same observations which I made must surely have been made by now, by individuals who have much more knowledge in this area than I do, e.g. competitors, LIDAR manufacturers. Therefore, this subject is dead as far as I am concerned. I just wish someone would have sent a PM to me, when I first wrote about my observations, and advised me to drop it. Sorry.

RedRocket
03-25-2016, 07:03 AM
Hi RedRocket....I'm assuming you are saying that this subject should be dropped. This just started off by my observation of something that I thought was an anomaly and inquiring about it. I did not know if what I observed was normal, or if my systems were experiencing a problem which may or may not have been due to the upgrade I loaded the day before my observations. I feel that the same observations which I made must surely have been made by now, by individuals who have much more knowledge in this area than I do, e.g. competitors, LIDAR manufacturers. Therefore, this subject is dead as far as I am concerned. I just wish someone would have sent a PM to me, when I first wrote about my observations, and advised me to drop it. Sorry.NO - I'm not saying that at all. Actually it's BRD or AL who should make that determination. I believe there are some who may have figured it out but use discretion & refrain from saying to much in Public comments in order to not expose the proprietary nature of how the Priority is able to do what it does & not cause any Parking secrets to be revealed.
One really needs multiple facts & clues to tie every tidbit together to assemble all the pieces into the complete picture ! ;)

modsl55amg
03-26-2016, 01:20 AM
NO - I'm not saying that at all. Actually it's BRD or AL who should make that determination. I believe there are some who may have figured it out but use discretion & refrain from saying to much in Public comments in order to not expose the proprietary nature of how the Priority is able to do what it does & not cause any Parking secrets to be revealed.
One really needs multiple facts & clues to tie every tidbit together to assemble all the pieces into the complete picture ! ;)

Hello RedRocket............................ It appears that I have inadvertently stumbled into an area which could possibly be considered confidential operational information. Please believe me when I say that it was never my intention to discuss such confidential operational specifics that could in any way be detrimental to me with my two ALP systems, as well as all of the other owners of an ALP system. As the OP of this Thread, is there any way that I can request that this Thread be Deleted in its entirety? If this general request is not sufficient for Deletion of this Thread, I will gladly make a more Formal Request for Deletion, if someone could tell me to whom I can submit my request. Thank you for your advice.

RedRocket
03-26-2016, 09:10 AM
Hello RedRocket............................Rest easy "mods", you've not revealed anything earth shattering here, so set aside the course of action you are considering for this Thread. The secret sauce formula is still intact. :joyous: