PDA

View Full Version : Does CA have unmarked cop cars with lights and sirens?

awj223
12-20-2014, 03:16 PM
Going to work yesterday I saw a plain looking Toyota Camry coming up in my rear view mirror in the lane next to me, and then something very strange happened: it started flashing its lights. The lights were blue and yellow flashing lights and were mounted inside the vehicle, on the passenger side, near the top of the windshield. As it passed me, I could also hear a siren. It exited northbound CA-17 at Hamilton Avenue.

Does CA have unmarked police vehicles that use lights and sirens like that?

FJR1300
12-20-2014, 06:21 PM
I've seen some posts of Camrys outfitted with blue & reds, so yeah, respect the Camry!

Rocketman59
12-20-2014, 08:09 PM
Oh Yes. Most likely a detective or narcotics unit. Even the CA Highway Patrol have unmarked units. Not sure what the CHP is driving these days as I have been gone from the state of my birth for almost 6 years. Just remember that there are so many Toyota's and Honda's in that state, a USA made car stands out. I think somewhere in the CA Vehicle Code is states that Police Cars used for Traffic Enforcement must be marked. Of course if you fly by a unmarked CHP cruiser, most likely you will be talked to. One interesting law CA has, If electronic speed enforcement (Radar or LIDAR) is being used, A traffic survey must be on file in that's county or city's road traffic office. That speed that the LEO is enforcing must be within 15 mph of what as found to be safe for that section of road or highway. There was some change made to this law a number of years ago to allow enforcement of the MAX speed allowed on freeways in CA. I think there may be some 75 mph section these days. Be care-full, my sons last ticket for 71 in a 60 mph zone cost him $750. He tells me that the CA Governor gets half, as the state needs the money.:whoo:

Clint Eastwood
01-09-2015, 05:37 AM
Going to work yesterday I saw a plain looking Toyota Camry coming up in my rear view mirror in the lane next to me, and then something very strange happened: it started flashing its lights. The lights were blue and yellow flashing lights and were mounted inside the vehicle, on the passenger side, near the top of the windshield. As it passed me, I could also hear a siren. It exited northbound CA-17 at Hamilton Avenue.

CA has unmarked LEO vehicles for detectives, not traffic. It is illegal for unmarked vehicles to be used on a traffic stop in CA. I remember listening on the news sometime back where some detectives were following some wanted guy on the freeway, and wanted to initiate a stop, so the detective unit had to call CHP, so they could make the actual stop. Blue and yellow lights sounds fishy. You can look at the plates and find out pretty easily, must have the CA EXEMPT lettering. CA is one of the few states where unmarked cannot make stops.

Even strobes are not allowed on private construction vehicles like you see in many other states. CA is pretty restrictive on vehicle lighting that can be construed as a police vehicle, as too many times fake cops are floating around.

ShadowSe7en
01-09-2015, 09:25 AM
The lights were blue and yellow flashing lights and were mounted inside the vehicle, on the passenger side, near the top of the windshield. As it passed me, I could also hear a siren. It exited northbound CA-17 at Hamilton Avenue.

Are flashing blue and yellow lights considered an emergency vehicle in CA? In my state blue and yellow are DOT or road maintenance. Emergency vehicles here have to either be red or red and blue lights to the front of the car.

Clint Eastwood
01-09-2015, 08:08 PM
Are flashing blue and yellow lights considered an emergency vehicle in CA? In my state blue and yellow are DOT or road maintenance. Emergency vehicles here have to either be red or red and blue lights to the front of the car.

I've never seen that combination in CA, which is why I suspected it's a wannabe fake cop. There's a few floating around in CA.

https://www.cslea.com/news/article/traffic_stop_real_or_fake_cop_pulling_you_over

Rocketman59
01-10-2015, 09:41 AM
Any kind of Blue light displayed will get you pulled over in a blink. Blue lights are reserved for active LEO vehicles only

Clint Eastwood
01-10-2015, 09:51 AM
I think some states the blue color is sometimes used by itself. For CHP, it's always been a mix and it's the RED that stands out at night.

Any of you recall the OJ Simpson "chase"?

curmudgeon
01-10-2015, 10:24 AM
Blue (only) are for volunteer firemen/private vehicles in NY

jdong
01-10-2015, 03:08 PM
SFPD also has dimly marked crown Vics with internal strobe lights. I've seen them respond to airport incidents before. They are black with very dim gray SFPD markings on the door.

I don't believe they can use unmarked vehicles for speed enforcement due to the speed trap laws, but they might be fair game for other violations.