PDA

View Full Version : New Daily Driver, 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

NYSpeederPVM
11-01-2014, 08:19 AM
So, I bought a brand new focus st earlier this year when my commute was about 10 miles round trip. Now, I commute about 75 miles round trip and, while I know it's not a Porsche or Lambo, I hate racking up the miles on my brand new turbo fun car. So last week I had a nice couple in their late 60s come in and buy a crv from me, and they traded in a cream puff 2001 grand prix gt with 83000 miles and the longest carfax maintenance record I've ever seen. If the shop these people used suggested anything, they said go ahead and do it. I'm surprised they weren't told to do a motor swap at 50k, everything has been done to this car, all belts, filters, catalytic converter, brakes (including new calipers 5000 miles ago). So for 1500 bux it's my new workhorse, but where oh where can I put alp heads? I'm thinking they will have to just hang off the bumper.

Although, I know there have been good results even with low mounted setups so I'm thinking I could just go in the lower grill opening.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/01/9d2132d95e39b39136e9ee06b1af8ee5.jpg

BestRadarDetectors
11-01-2014, 09:26 AM
Congrats on your new commuter... Cant see to well on Tapatalk but will reply later when home on the PC with some suggestions.

Yellowcab
11-01-2014, 09:00 PM
I would go upper grill first and test. You have a tough vehicle to protect. There aren't any great mounting locations.

kasher1979
11-01-2014, 09:27 PM
I agree. Go upper. Get them as far over to the left and right as possible. After that you can test.

kasher1979
11-01-2014, 09:30 PM
I assume it's alps. I don't think anything else is going to be doable with this car and get decent results. You need alps.

lugnuts
11-01-2014, 10:17 PM
might need a quad setup, with two in the upper grills and two in the lower grill. neither location is great on its own.

TurboDriver
11-02-2014, 07:32 AM
I think lower might be better, you can get them wider and closer to lights and fogs. Also do you have to run a plate? If not I would get a Fake plastic plate that looks real from a distance - Lure the LEO to shoot front and center to buy you time before he goes for the lights.

I took a picture of my car and using a basic computer program like "Paint" made a circle of estimated size of 24" or so and used the mouse to drag it around the image centering it to possible sensor locations. I found that lower and wider seemed to cover more area. It was too late for me as I had already mounted my ALP's but if I ever move them I know where they will go now.

Extra - That is a beautiful car for the $$$, it should serve you well! :thumb:

BestRadarDetectors
11-02-2014, 07:45 AM
might need a quad setup, with two in the upper grills and two in the lower grill. neither location is great on its own.
Nah. No way would you need a quad. I have 2 on my vehicle almost to the ground and I still do very well.

lugnuts
11-02-2014, 08:05 AM
Nah. No way would you need a quad. I have 2 on my vehicle almost to the ground and I still do very well.

for most scenarios but what about overpass or on ramp shots?

BestRadarDetectors
11-02-2014, 08:10 AM
for most scenarios but what about overpass or on ramp shots?
Lets do some testing and find out.

languy99
11-02-2014, 09:01 AM
You'll be fine with the dual

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lugnuts
11-02-2014, 10:19 AM
Lets do some testing and find out.

thats why I said he might need it, testing will show whats needed.

RedRocket
11-02-2014, 11:19 AM
I think lower might be better, you can get them wider and closer to lights and fogs. Also do you have to run a plate? If not I would get a Fake plastic plate that looks real from a distance - Lure the LEO to shoot front and center to buy you time before he goes for the lights.

Extra - That is a beautiful car for the $$$, it should serve you well!<---- Ditto ! :thumb:I agree w/ Turbo,do a temp install on upper surface of lower grill w/ double-sided sticky tape 6" over from edge corners towards the LP.I'll sked some testing when you're ready.

OrlNmE
11-02-2014, 11:20 AM

That's a hard one to fit to. I think your going to have to test regardless of where you put it. I uploaded a photo of a car that looks similar to what you have but a little more brighter image to look at. I think the upper Reds are better but they will be very visible. If you want to go more stealth, consider lower Reds or upper Yellows..

NYSpeederPVM
11-02-2014, 11:28 AM
Time will tell, today I'm going to try to detail and put a sealant on both cars if the weather permits. I just blew through my fun money on this so might be a bit before I get the alps, hopefully by xmas. Drove it home yesterday and unless I'm missing something it is absolutely perfect and drives like new. The stuff the owners did maintenance wise is over the top. I STOLE it at 1500.