PDA

View Full Version : Crimping new jammer cables

Vortex
09-10-2014, 12:09 AM
I recently got my ALP quads installed and it looks like the cable to one of my front heads was damaged when it was pulled through the firewall. The head doesn't work. (Thank goodness for the ALP's ability to tell you how many heads it sees... Hearing 3 beeps when you're expecting 4 during the head test means something's gone wrong!)

Anyways, I'm going to need to cut off the end of the cable that plugs into the CPU and crimp on a new connector.

What type of cable end, exactly, does it use? It's like an ethernet cable, but it's only 6 pins, and I'm pretty sure it's larger than a phone cable.

Vortex
09-10-2014, 12:28 AM
Actually you know what? Nevermind...

I just went back to take a closer look at the connector now that I'm back in town and I was able to fix the problem! :biggrin-new:

Turns out that some of the plastic guide pieces just above the metal contacts had been bent sideways, preventing the metal contacts from connecting up properly.

I straightened them out with a pocket knife, had the ALP relearn how many heads were connected, and now it recognizes 4 heads and the final head responds to laser! :whoo:

BIG RELIEF!!!

I suppose the mods could delete this thread if they like, but if we get some info on the exact connector type, that may be helpful to people in the future who have similar issues.

BestRadarDetectors
09-10-2014, 07:26 AM
Actually you know what? Nevermind...

I just went back to take a closer look at the connector now that I'm back in town and I was able to fix the problem! :biggrin-new:

Turns out that some of the plastic guide pieces just above the metal contacts had been bent sideways, preventing the metal contacts from connecting up properly.

I straightened them out with a pocket knife, had the ALP relearn how many heads were connected, and now it recognizes 4 heads and the final head responds to laser! :whoo:

BIG RELIEF!!!

I suppose the mods could delete this thread if they like, but if we get some info on the exact connector type, that may be helpful to people in the future who have similar issues.

Good to know you were able to easily fix the connector by clearing the connection. Over 95% of head failures are due to the connectors being pulled hard through small openings in the firewall. No need to delete because it might be helpful to someone with the same issue in the future.

radargeek
09-10-2014, 07:53 AM
I know the LI uses a 6-pin RJ11 (6P), is the plug the same type on the ALP?

It could also be a 6-pin RJ45 (like an ethernet connector but with 6 pins) but those are larger.