Close
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
    Looks like "rear" Testing will be near impossible b/c of trailing dust (salt) cloud even @ 40mph.
    Hmm, maybe you are on to something. Instead of laser jammers, maybe we can design something that projects smoke or fog or dust in front of the car as you drive. Kind of like KITT's smoke screen but to the front.

Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,543 Times in 846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ptatohed View Post
    Hmm, maybe you are on to something. Instead of laser jammers, maybe we can design something that projects smoke or fog or dust in front of the car as you drive. Kind of like KITT's smoke screen but to the front.
    "KITT" - lol
    This issue I noticed years ago when experimenting. Even rooster tail road spray from rears tires on wet roads made P/T difficult, but there is a work-around to this issue. Also, near impossible to shoot thru ground fog too - even at spitting range.
    Last edited by RedRocket; 09-17-2016 at 09:11 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedRocket For This Useful Post:

Clint Eastwood (09-18-2016), Radarrob (09-16-2016)

Thanks Given
    Looks like "rear" Testing will be near impossible b/c of trailing dust (salt) cloud even @ 40mph.
    30 mph is better for testing, and I believe the 'hard pan' area of the flats will be dust free.
    Go ahead, make my day.

Thanks Given
    Regarding rear jammers... we will test them but in CA there is currently no threat to rear shots. I've been on this bandwagon for a few years and no one has proven me otherwise.
    Go ahead, make my day.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Clint Eastwood For This Useful Post:

SurrealOne (09-18-2016)

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Eastwood View Post
    30 mph is better for testing, and I believe the 'hard pan' area of the flats will be dust free.
    My thoughts on this are it's not a best practice(IMO) if this is what DJrams does & I prefer my 'victim's' to come at me ~40-45mph (1000'). The Laser Diodes have a finite life cycle & I like to keep the firing period to a minimum(reduced heat build-up). Approaching from 1500' @ 30mph is a very long duration...30sec.+ of run time will surely get the Transponder quite HOT especially the enviroment your Meet is taking place. - Try putting your fingers on the Transponder after one of these 1500' 30mph runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Eastwood View Post
    Regarding rear jammers... we will test them but in CA there is currently no threat to rear shots. I've been on this bandwagon for a few years and no one has proven me otherwise.
    Tactics are evolving w/ LE, I see it here & have no doubt it will spread elsewhere. Driver mirror shots were extremely rare but not anymore where I drive, Rear attention will be next.
    Last edited by RedRocket; 09-19-2016 at 02:34 PM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RedRocket For This Useful Post:

Clint Eastwood (09-20-2016), curmudgeon (09-20-2016), modsl55amg (09-19-2016)

Thanks Given
    I am new to this so it's quite possible I do not know what I am talking about but I thought it would be kind of cool to pick an original travel speed (V1) and a final travel speed (V2). Let's say V1 is 50mph, and V1 is 10mph less, 40mph. The goal would be to get from V1 to V2 as soon as you hear the laser alert before Lidar punch through (if any). I guess the gun operator will know if he gets instant punch through or not but, who knows, if it were even just 2 seconds, that might be enough to drop 5-10mph. What do you guys think?

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by ptatohed View Post
    I am new to this so it's quite possible I do not know what I am talking about but I thought it would be kind of cool to pick an original travel speed (V1) and a final travel speed (V2). Let's say V1 is 50mph, and V1 is 10mph less, 40mph. The goal would be to get from V1 to V2 as soon as you hear the laser alert before Lidar punch through (if any). I guess the gun operator will know if he gets instant punch through or not but, who knows, if it were even just 2 seconds, that might be enough to drop 5-10mph. What do you guys think?
    This Test objective isn't about developing your reaction performance, it's about determining if you have any P/T vulnerabilities in your installation, I believe.

Thanks Given
    My thoughts on this are it's not a best practice(IMO) & I prefer my 'victim's' to come at me ~40mph. The Laser Diodes have a finite life cycle & I like to keep the firing period to a minimum. Approaching from 1500' @ 30mph is a very long duration...30sec.+ of run time will surely get the Transponder quite HOT especially the enviroment your Meet is taking place.

Tactics are evolving w/ LE, I see it here & have no doubt it will spread elsewhere. Driver mirror shots were extremely rare but not anymore where I drive, Rear attention will be next.
    Hi RedRocket, I understand your thoughts and concerns regarding a lengthy "pass" driving towards a "shooter" in a test situation. A shorter "pass" will have the Laser Diodes actually firing for a shorter period of time, thereby keeping the Transponder cooler. Hopefully that will prolong the life-cycle (life-span?) of the Laser Diodes. So, that deals with a heating, or possibly an over-heating situation. If the Laser Diodes actually do have a finite life-cycle (life-span?), what are your thoughts regarding the number of times a Laser Diode actually fires? In other words, if a member tests his car's ALP systems every couple of months with an array of different Lidar guns, in order to confirm that the transponders are still positioned correctly and successfully perform their function, would or could that amount of testing eat into the life-cycle (life-span?) of the Laser Diodes and/or the Transponder?

While I rarely have an encounter with actual Lidar, (I have actually encountered Lidar only in NY, CT, and MA, when driving to and from your area), maybe the more often testing I perform on my systems might equate to members who have numerous actual Lidar encounters but who rarely test their systems.

What are your thoughts or advice? Should I keep the actual testing down to a minimum, in order to conserve the number of remaining life-cycles available, for actual Lidar encounter situations?

Thanks Given
    This Test objective isn't about developing your reaction performance, it's about determining if you have any P/T vulnerabilities in your installation, I believe.
    I understand. But the bigger picture is to avoid getting clocked by an officer at a "ticket-worthy" speed. It'd be nice to know how much speed could be reduced before PT happens.

Thanks Given
    Regarding test speed, we have been, up until this upcoming event, tested on an enclosed course that is a trucking yard. The people who gave us permission to use the course would probably not like it if we were doing 50 mph inside their enclosure. 35 mph has been our speed limit, but since we are in the open, we might modify that on this next event.
    Go ahead, make my day.