Close
    Thanks Given

ALP Power Cable: How to replace or obtain a ALP CPU Power Cable very cheaply.

Mods might want to sticky this in case it could help someone out. I am trying to frankenstein together a used CPU with a controller button, and I noticed the seller didn't supply me with the critical power cable needed to power up the unit.

I checked the connector and quickly recognized this as being identical to a 4 Pin ATX 12V Connector found on many modern desktop computer power supply units. Every modern computer is using an additional 4-Pin ATX 12V Connector for additional power needed to handle all of the peripherals installed.

There are 2 ways to obtain this cable. Either you get it for free, or you can buy it for a very cheap cost.

1. Obtain a newer desktop power supply unit from a computer being tossed into the garbage, or one just lying around. Cut off the 4-pin ATX 12V cable and connector coming out of the power supply unit. The color of the wires will be different from the original ALP cable, but that doesn't matter.

2. Go to eBay or Amazon, and search for a "4-Pin ATX12V to 4-Pin Molex Adapter". See picture below, then cut off the Molex connector. I've seen these go for as cheap as $2.65.

I have the pinout/wiremapping provided in a picture diagram below. Be absolutely certain to connector the 12V Power to ONLY the cable that is in the position provided. If you provide 12V Power to the wrong wire, you could risk damage. Be very careful!

I didn't have any issues myself, and as you can see in the pictures, the ALP works just fine with the 4-Pin ATX 12V Cable I pulled for free from a computer destined for the trash.

ALP Power Cable Pinout
    Name:  IMG_0271.JPG
Views: 192
Size:  170.5 KB

My discarded/used 4-Pin ATX 12V Cable
    Name:  IMG_0269.JPG
Views: 198
Size:  136.0 KB

A picture of a 4-Pin ATX 12V to Molex Adapter
    Name:  ATXtoMolex.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  45.9 KB

Tested my 4-Pin ATX 12V Cable on my ALP. Everything works!
    Name:  IMG_0270.JPG
Views: 198
Size:  187.0 KB

Good Luck!

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rahul1023 For This Useful Post:

bairice (09-22-2015), Hb hellcat (09-25-2015), OrlNmE (09-24-2015), RadarNinja (09-24-2015), Radarrob (09-22-2015)