Close
    Thanks Given

Impact of heads not being pointed straight

My installer just installed 2 AL Priority heads on my Vette. He installed them in the honeycomb grille which comes to a point at the nose. The heads are not facing straight because there is not section of the grille that is flat. It is not a severe angle, I would say less than 5 degrees. I do not run a front plate, and my car is dark gray.

What is the real impact of having the heads pointed outward less than 5 degrees?

Thanks Given
    It is substantial. Many high pulse rate guns are difficult to jam with a perfect 3 head set up. Think about it, if you are coming around a bend and the LIDAR operator is several ft off to the side of the road, the LEO is already off axis to your car. By having the heads toed in or, out you are adding additional degrees off axis to the LEO making a punch through highly likely. You need to tune those two heads to perfection, level and square. They may not conform to the front of your car perfectly but, they will work more reliably. The days of, "almost," in terms of an install just isn't good enough anymore.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itwasntme For This Useful Post:

curmudgeon (10-22-2015), modsl55amg (11-08-2015)

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    It is substantial. Many high pulse rate guns are difficult to jam with a perfect 3 head set up. Think about it, if you are coming around a bend and the LIDAR operator is several ft off to the side of the road, the LEO is already off axis to your car. By having the heads toed in or, out you are adding additional degrees off axis to the LEO making a punch through highly likely. You need to tune those two heads to perfection, level and square. They may not conform to the front of your car perfectly but, they will work more reliably. The days of, "almost," in terms of an install just isn't good enough anymore.
    Thanks - I will adjust them. Does it matter that some part of the head is going to be kind of "buried" in the honeycomb of the grille?

Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,697 Times in 929 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by enzom View Post
    Does it matter that some part of the head is going to be kind of "buried" in the honeycomb of the grille?
    Yes, installing behind grille's is not recommended, along with not having them too recessed, so that they have a clear field of view.

This is the ALP manual's recommendation, if they must be installed in a grille ;

Name:  ALP sensor install.JPG
Views: 367
Size:  43.6 KB

Basically, do not install them behind a grille unless you really have too
    Last edited by winterbrew; 10-21-2015 at 09:58 PM.
    2 x ALPriority (Quint) with STi-R+ and BT/HiFi/GPS integration | V1C (sold) | Bel RX65 S7 | 2015 Intl Redline Pro-A (sold) | Uniden R3 | Uniden LRD950 (sold) | Stalker Lidar | UltraLyte LRB | Kustom Raptor RP-1 2 x K band, 1 x Ka band antennas | Decatur Genesis-II K band |

6. The Following User Says Thank You to winterbrew For This Useful Post:

modsl55amg (11-08-2015)

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by winterbrew View Post
    Yes, installing behind grille's is not recommended, along with not having them too recessed, so that they have a clear field of view.

This is the ALP manual's recommendation, if they must be installed in a grille ;

Name:  ALP sensor install.JPG
Views: 367
Size:  43.6 KB

Basically, do not install them behind a grille unless you really have too
    Thanks, it has a clear view. It is just that if you pulled the grille out and looked down, you would see half of the jammer. But nothing is blocking the front of the jammer
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by enzom; 10-21-2015 at 10:13 PM.

Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,543 Times in 846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by enzom View Post
    Thanks - I will adjust them. Does it matter that some part of the head is going to be kind of "buried" in the honeycomb of the grille?
    @enzom

Yes, it is bad if your Sensors are to recessed. Can you show us a picture of your grill & where the 2 Sensors are located.
    (do not show your License Plate in the picture)
    Last edited by RedRocket; 11-08-2015 at 02:34 PM.