Close
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks Given
    So Mirage....how can a rational thinking person reach any conclusions how your test results were so vastly different from Radar Roy?
    V1 YAV1 LI 8.9 2008 Silverado w/427ci
    Redline EL CS-56 Dual Jammer 2004 GTO 408ci Stroker Motor
    2014 Ford GT500 V1 YAV1 LI8.9
    8500 X50 Black EL 2013 Jeep Wrangler
    all with HeadlightArmor passive counter measures
    http://www.headlightarmor.com
    7 decades of hauling ass

The only way the French are going in is if we tell them we found truffles in Iraq

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by The Only Sarge View Post
    Couple of issues here. One.....it obviously had ZERO effect on DE. Secondly in Texas any device or effort to defeat speed enforcement is illegal. Not just jammers. So G5 is illegal in Texas also. Plate covers are illegal in Texas. Jammers are illegal in Texas. Any device or effort to defeat.......
    Pretty sure that doesn't include passive methods though. RDs are still legal in TX. But...

Mute point anyway......doesnt work as advertised.
    Yep.

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by awj223 View Post
    Pretty sure that doesn't include passive methods though.......
    RDs are still legal in TX. But...
    RD's dont defeat speed enforcement efforts. RD's only alert to them. Big fight over the language there from Truckers and they won. Then Lt Gov Dewhurst wanted to ban RD's also but the Truckers stomped that out. Again....any effort to defeat

Quote Originally Posted by awj223
    Yep.
    Yep.
    7 decades of hauling ass

The only way the French are going in is if we tell them we found truffles in Iraq

Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 520 Posts
    So Mirage....how can a rational thinking person reach any conclusions how your test results were so vastly different from Radar Roy?
    You have to remember we now have 2 tests (One from me and one from Vortex) that contradict Roy's Veil test. Now a couple of things to consider, on the DragonEye compact Roy was hand holding whereas I had mine on a tripod. Like I said in the review if you test against the worst case scenario you will do much better in the real world. I do however think Vortex was performing his tests hand held so that being the case it sounds to me like he is just that much more stable than Roy's test. I also wish I could have done the DragonEye on the camera too. I was so pissed I brought the wrong camera and the battery was almost dead so I couldn't hook it up on the DESL. That DragonEye is deadly! ALP is the only one that can beat it.

MirageTools.net
    - Laser CM Reviews and Tools
    RALETC.com - Radar and Laser Expert Testing Cooperative
    AL PRIORITY (Quint) w/BT, RG, & STiR | V1 3.892 + YAV1 | BlackVue DR650GW-2CH

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mirage For This Useful Post:

curmudgeon (03-23-2015), OrlNmE (03-25-2015), Salty (03-23-2015), tawwwd (03-24-2015), The Only Sarge (03-23-2015), Tman (03-23-2015)

Thanks Given
    I've never really thought much about veil, and the alps don't seem to need help, but I would still think it has some value when used with jammers. I never thought for a minute it would stand alone.

But there is no real way to test that, other than making a ton of runs with the same car and getting an average punch through distance with and without veil.

Thanks Given
    Again....any effort to defeat
    hard to say, if you choose a black, low profile car instead of a big, white, is it effort to defeat lidar ? :-)

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by NYSpeederPVM View Post
    I've never really thought much about veil, and the alps don't seem to need help, but I would still think it has some value when used with jammers. I never thought for a minute it would stand alone.

But there is no real way to test that, other than making a ton of runs with the same car and getting an average punch through distance with and without veil.
    I would agree a multi layered approach is sound thinking. Active and passive defense makes sense....however your passive has to actually work at real world distances we drivers face when being shot with laser. A quarter mile isn't realistic to expect any type of protection. I would further humbly submit just basic "reflection management" is just as effective. Angle your license plate down a bit. I use headlight armor on my headlights/fog lights and it significantly reduces reflection back.....just basic reflection management to cut down on my "footprint"......other than that it is beginning to appear a waste of money to utilize paint on laser "absorption". No realistic/realized gains in reducing your signature that I can see now after 2 test (Mirage/Vortex our resident non convicted felons)...
    Oh yeah...I also use a active jammer. LI.....jams all the guns around here. Mirage is the only SOB in Texas with a DragonEye
    Last edited by The Only Sarge; 03-23-2015 at 06:48 PM.
    7 decades of hauling ass

9. The Following User Says Thank You to The Only Sarge For This Useful Post:

OrlNmE (03-25-2015)

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    You have to remember we now have 2 tests (One from me and one from Vortex) that contradict Roy's Veil test. Now a couple of things to consider, on the DragonEye compact Roy was hand holding whereas I had mine on a tripod. Like I said in the review if you test against the worst case scenario you will do much better in the real world. I do however think Vortex was performing his tests hand held so that being the case it sounds to me like he is just that much more stable than Roy's test. I also wish I could have done the DragonEye on the camera too. I was so pissed I brought the wrong camera and the battery was almost dead so I couldn't hook it up on the DESL. That DragonEye is deadly! ALP is the only one that can beat it.
    I dont care if your testing mouse traps.....when you have 3 test done and 2 are almost identical results and one is waaaaayyyyyyy out of whack.
    Throw the anomaly out. Something is wrong.
    I look forward to BRD's test. I think he said the other day he can see sunlight now from his snow cave.
    7 decades of hauling ass

Thanks Given
    We still dont know what makes Veil ticking weakly but still ...is it absorbtive properties or reduction in reflectiveness ?

Would it be possible to test this ?

Name:  AMEDM04.jpg
Views: 1048
Size:  23.9 KB

Thanks Given
    There I just tested it and it works just as good
    Seriously......I am now of the mind basic reflection management utilizing damn near any type of reflection management (I'll call that RM) will give you the same if not better results.
    My preference is non intrusive solutions like headlight/fog light film (Smoked, Blue) that many dealers put on now to protect the HL area from yellowing/rock chips etc.
    Angle your license plate down a tad or two.
    Just basic reflection management.
    Like my Longhorn Bulls Head I have on my Cadillac. I spray painted his eyeballs black as not to draw attention to myself.

Further more ...I would submit at the distance we are seeing to realize any type of benefit from RM.....your RD is gonna go off and give you about the same amount of time to slow down. I mean a quarter of a mile the beam has to be like 2 ft wide and hand held the LEO is gonna be all over the damn place trying to shoot you from that far away. That will set off a decent RD.
    Last edited by The Only Sarge; 03-23-2015 at 07:33 PM.
    7 decades of hauling ass