Close
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks Given
    I drove past this spot yesterday, and there was a CHP car running C/O Ka 34.7 halfway down the onramp (NB). I was going in the opposite direction, so would not know if he was also running FF laser. Either way, he was giving up his location by spraying radar down the highway.
    Go ahead, make my day.

Thanks Given
    Also, there is no way you can see the patrol cars when they are on the ramp due to the way the ramp is recessed with a berm between the ramp and the highway down below. They are there so often now that I just slow a bit until I determine it's clear.
    Go ahead, make my day.

Thanks Given
    I drove past that spot again last Friday morning, on the way to SF to fight a parking ticket (which the Judge ended up throwing out). There were 0 CHP cruisers/motorcycles on that ramp at around 8am.

Do they tend to sit there at certain times of the day more than others?
    Last edited by awj223; 05-15-2014 at 07:18 PM.

Thanks Given
    Congrats on having the ticket tossed

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by awj223 View Post
    I drove past that spot again last Friday morning, on the way to SF to fight a parking ticket (which the Judge ended up throwing out). There were 0 CHP cruisers/motorcycles on that ramp at around 8am.

Do they tend to sit there at certain times of the day more than others?
    Commute hours, 6-8 pm. I did see a trooper shooting laser SB near the 92/280 interchange.

280 is ripe with laser from 380 south to Page Mill Road, in the weekday late afternoon, early evening times.

Good show on the ticket, a long way to drive for a parking violation.
    Go ahead, make my day.

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
    Congrats on having the ticket tossed
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Eastwood View Post
    Commute hours, 6-8 pm. I did see a trooper shooting laser SB near the 92/280 interchange.

280 is ripe with laser from 380 south to Page Mill Road, in the weekday late afternoon, early evening times.

Good show on the ticket, a long way to drive for a parking violation.
    Thanks. Was quite easily, actually.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d17/vc40202.htm
    40202. (a) If a vehicle is unattended during the time of the violation, the peace officer or person authorized to enforce parking laws and regulations shall securely attach to the vehicle a notice of parking violation setting forth the violation, including reference to the section of this code or of the Public Resources Code, the local ordinance, or the federal statute or regulation so violated; the date; the approximate time thereof; the location where the violation occurred; a statement printed on the notice indicating that the date of payment is required to be made not later than 21 calendar days from the date of citation issuance; and the procedure for the registered owner, lessee, or rentee to deposit the parking penalty or, pursuant to Section 40215, contest the citation. The notice of parking violation shall also set forth the vehicle license number and registration expiration date if they are visible, the last four digits of the vehicle identification number, if that number is readable through the windshield, the color of the vehicle, and, if possible, the make of the vehicle. The notice of parking violation, or copy thereof, shall be considered a record kept in the ordinary course of business of the issuing agency and the processing agency and shall be prima facie evidence of the facts contained therein.
    Officer failed to put the last 4 digits of the VIN on the ticket. Ticket was therefore invalid, and had to be tossed.

They also had a sign 45' away, mounted way up a pole, on a busy street with A LOT of other signs around, saying that there was no parking due to street sweeping. This sign also happened to be illegal because some of the lettering on it was only 1" high, and the California Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/engineering/mutcd/ states that you need 1" of letter height per 30' of viewing distance. They also lacked a 17"x22" sign at the entrance to the street, as specified by CVC 22507.6, so their only option was to follow the CA MUTCD, which they did not do (CVC 22507.6 specifies that they have to either post a 17"x22" sign at the entrance to the street with lettering at least 1" in height OR follow the MUTCD which specifies at least 12"x18" signs with 1" of letter height for every 30' of viewing distance). However, I didn't even have to get to this part of the argument because the lack of VIN was an easier way to get out of it. I figure if this stupid city is going to get me for supposedly not reading their illegal signs, then I'm going to rake them over the coals for not reading/following the laws of our State to the letter. Now if they had actually put a notice on the meter itself, I wouldn't have bothered to park there, but they chose the bush league tactic of posting signs in easy to miss places instead.

That makes a total of 2 parking tickets San Francisco has given me in my life, but I've yet to have to pay a single one.
    Last edited by awj223; 05-17-2014 at 11:16 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to awj223 For This Useful Post:

curmudgeon (05-17-2014), modsl55amg (10-11-2015)

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Eastwood View Post
    I drove past this spot yesterday, and there was a CHP car running C/O Ka 34.7 halfway down the onramp (NB). I was going in the opposite direction, so would not know if he was also running FF laser. Either way, he was giving up his location by spraying radar down the highway.
    This happened to me this morning, as I was coming NB on 280 to go to watch the Blue Angels. Really deadly since there's hardly anything for the radar to reflect off of, and you get only about 5-6 seconds warning until you're in the kill zone. Not marked on Waze either.

Last edited by awj223; 10-11-2015 at 01:24 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to awj223 For This Useful Post:

Clint Eastwood (10-11-2015), curmudgeon (10-12-2015)

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by awj223 View Post
    This happened to me this morning, as I was coming NB on 280 to go to watch the Blue Angels. Really deadly since there's hardly anything for the radar to reflect off of, and you get only about 5-6 seconds warning until you're in the kill zone. Not marked on Waze either.

Thats the spot. I always look up the ramp in the mirror, make sure I am not blowing through there super fast. Also confirms my suspicion that this is and has always been a radar spot. When they do laser there, they are at the top of the hill and shoot from the front before the bend. (Been shot once and saw them doing it several times)
    Last edited by Clint Eastwood; 10-11-2015 at 11:08 PM.
    Go ahead, make my day.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clint Eastwood For This Useful Post:

awj223 (10-12-2015), curmudgeon (10-12-2015)