Close
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks Given

STI-R Plus Install

Many of you that have seen my install know I have recently installed an STI-R Plus Unit, which I am LOVING! I do need help with one thing that I may or may not have to modify. What I have done is use the bracket to mount to the roof with 3M tape. The bracket is taped with the 3M tape to the roof of vehicle as well as the top of the bracket is taped to the bottom of the luggage rail as well. I actually had to remove the luggage rail and clamp it back down onto the Antenna mounting bracket since it is a very snug fit anyway. My question is will the 3M tape hold this or should I look into getting some screws to screw down into the roof. I would rather not do it, but I don't want to loose my antenna to the wind. lol I must say it is solid as a rock up there right now. I thought about simply putting a zip tie around the rail and the top portion of the bracket just as a precautionary measure. Just curious what you guys think. My LI heads are also on the front with the 3M tape and they are also solid as a rock.

Thanks!

Thanks Given
    It should be ok, worst case if it breaks loose it won't go far due to the cable.

If you want more peace of mind, use some zip ties.

I've heard the 3M tape sets up good when heated up, so if it's cold, I'd put a hairdryer to it for a minute or two.
    If I passed you on the right, YOU are in the wrong lane!

2016 Encounters/Saves (to date): 33.8: 1/1 (last 4/13) | 34.7: 1/1 (last 3/11) | 35.5: 19/11 (last 8/28) | K: 1/1 (last 6/26)
    2015 Encounters/Saves: 33.8: 1/0 | 34.7: 13/4 | 35.5: 19/10 | K: 4/1 | LIDAR (sighted/hit with/save): 4/1/1

ACTIVE CMs: Redline X, K, Ka 2,4,5,8 (highway/long trip RD) | New! V1C 3.8945 K, Ka CS, TMF2 w/YaV1 (in-town RD) | ALP Quad | BlackVue DR650GW-2CH

3. The Following User Says Thank You to radargeek For This Useful Post:

kasher1979 (02-25-2014)

Thanks Given
    IMO the 3M tape will be fine, but I'd still put a ziptie through it just in case.

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    IMO the 3M tape will be fine, but I'd still put a ziptie through it just in case.
    OK that makes me feel better to hear someone experienced as you say you have that much confidence in the 3M Tape. Like you said I think I will slip a zip tie on there though.

Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,543 Times in 846 Posts
    Plastic ties will degrade over time when exposed continuously to UV light(unless UV stablized w/ carbon black).I'd recommend changing them w/ new ones on a yearly basis.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RedRocket For This Useful Post:

kasher1979 (02-25-2014)

Thanks Given
    How is your plus compared to the redline? Im thinking of going stealth as well with a Plus--something new and exciting lol

Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 911 Posts
    can i ask what path did you use to get the cables inside the car from ant

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Holla View Post
    How is your plus compared to the redline? Im thinking of going stealth as well with a Plus--something new and exciting lol
    The Plus is awesome!!! Compared the redline it is almost exactly the same. The redline performs just a VERY VERY small amount better on K band. As for KA band it is extremely close. I have a really hot redline though. I had to send my redline in several times. Larry finally got the head tech to fix it. That guy knows what he is doing. I highly recommend the plus if you want to go stealth. The plus is my new thing right now. I am really liking it a whole lot. I enjoy the GPS lockouts without having to use a smartphone lots too.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kasher1979 For This Useful Post:

modsl55amg (02-20-2015)

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by dinkydi View Post
    can i ask what path did you use to get the cables inside the car from ant
    Yes I ran cable down the luggage rack into the back door. The cable goes between the gap between the back door and roof which is a large gap and plenty of room. Then the cable just lays over top the soft door seal from there.

Attachment 868

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kasher1979 For This Useful Post:

dinkydi (02-25-2014)

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
    Plastic ties will degrade over time when exposed continuously to UV light(unless UV stablized w/ carbon black).I'd recommend changing them w/ new ones on a yearly basis.
    Man I appreciate that advice. I didn't think about that. I will have to plan on replacing it probably after each summer would be a good time to do it. Thanks again.