Close
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks Given
    This looks great - impressive result - today evening i had some time to drive around in the Mannheim/Ludwighafen Area of Germany - lots of PoliScan Towers - and guess what .. most of them were directly detected - in Range from 80m to 500m - 500m was on an empty three lane road which was wet (reflection of wet roads increases range) - tower was on traffic lamp island to the right - this was amazing - so it looks like my ALP is really working after the repair - found two towers, which did not work from either direction - maybe they switch them off over night ?? cause i could not detect anything from either direction - a few towers were only shooting in one direction - those have only three black rings - those with four rings are shooting in both directions
    the story continues..

Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,543 Times in 846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael_MA View Post
    thanks for your quick reply - the config.alp is having mostly standard values except volume changes and defender mode selection - today i had two towers which were detected - one in about 200m - which is enaugh inside villages - one i havent noticed where it was - maybe flase alarm

I need more time for verification to really get a reasonable result - do you know how long the usual detection distance is ? is it possible to have only 20-30m on fixed towers - btw. yesterday i was shot by a LeifTec laser gun which was greatly detected from about 250m - this is impressive

regards, Mike
    PoliScan

LeivTec Lidar
    Last edited by RedRocket; 03-16-2018 at 10:07 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RedRocket For This Useful Post:

dinkydi (03-18-2018)

Thanks Given
    Well, it looks like i have a new record in detecting a fixed poliscan tower (pst) - did evaluate the results of my dashcam and it looks like i drover 70 Km/h average for 44 sec between the detection and the location of the pst - i was raining on a three lane road with only a few cars in front of me - this is stunning and clearly shows what the system is capable of - im amazed

The other cool thing is - i discovered an so called "speed enforcement trailer" looks like a big rock from the side and from the rear like an trailer covered with a curtain - has the same speed checking technology as the towers but can be detached from car and left on the side of the road running on batteries for a week - this "rock" is sending pictures directly via cellular network -

be aware of ...

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael_MA For This Useful Post:

dinkydi (03-18-2018), winterbrew (03-17-2018)

Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,697 Times in 929 Posts
    Do you have the lidar based Jenoptik TraffiStar S350 (similar operation to Poliscan)?

We have them now as well as Poliscan. Poliscan detection is great, but TraffiStar detection is often only 70 - 90m for a front facing unit.
    2 x ALPriority (Quint) with STi-R+ and BT/HiFi/GPS integration | V1C (sold) | Bel RX65 S7 | 2015 Intl Redline Pro-A (sold) | Uniden R3 | Uniden LRD950 (sold) | Stalker Lidar | UltraLyte LRB | Kustom Raptor RP-1 2 x K band, 1 x Ka band antennas | Decatur Genesis-II K band |

7. The Following User Says Thank You to winterbrew For This Useful Post:

dragons (03-17-2018)

Thanks Given
    I've been encountering Traffistar more and more often recently, I have wondered if they are replacing the Poli's slowly.

Thanks Given
    hmm .. not that i'm aware of in my area - they have these towers with road buried piezo sensors, but not with LIDAR technology - PoliScans are the unsung hero's here in the Heidelberg/Mannheim Area - i've seen videos on YT where S350s mobile trailer were placed in the Cologne/Dusseldorf Area in a similar form as the law enforcement trailer from Vitronic - they were placed ilegally on the Highways A40/A46 in contruction sites by the local/ Town communities - in the state of NRW it is not allowed town/communities to place mobile traffic control equipment on higfhways - only police is allowed to do that -

here is a video of the PoliScan installation in NRW: (sorry the video creator made it in german only - i can try to translate most important infos, if anybody is interested)

On the other hand, the Jenoptik TraffiStar S350 is officially known here in germany to have a measure range, which is not meeting german law regulations - the range was found to be too short wit 8.31m - the min requirement by the certification is 10.0m - there is a smart layer for road traffic law has done quite some stirring up and has a great video explaining this fact - affected communities which use the S350 have been notified by Jenoptik to shutdown the operation until this issue is clarified and the certification is activated again.

here is the video of the layer - for those of you understanding a bit german:

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michael_MA For This Useful Post:

dinkydi (03-18-2018), dragons (03-20-2018), winterbrew (03-18-2018)

Thanks Given
    sorry i copied the YT link twice - since i cannot edit my post (waited 15mins after pressing edit post.. ) can an admin remove the last link above and add the following one - Thanks in advance !

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael_MA For This Useful Post:

winterbrew (03-18-2018)

Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,697 Times in 929 Posts
    Many thanks - didn't realise you can turn on auto-translated CC / subtitles on the last video

He mentions he has a copy of the manual, but I can't find it anywhere on the net ?

I'm still trying to find out what the minimum / maximum range of the S350 is. Looks like we know from above, the minimum is 8.31 m

Do you know if it can take pictures from behind as well like the Poliscan (picture of the rear of the car). Here, the police do not need a picture of who was driving, so often Poliscan's flash from behind

2 x ALPriority (Quint) with STi-R+ and BT/HiFi/GPS integration | V1C (sold) | Bel RX65 S7 | 2015 Intl Redline Pro-A (sold) | Uniden R3 | Uniden LRD950 (sold) | Stalker Lidar | UltraLyte LRB | Kustom Raptor RP-1 2 x K band, 1 x Ka band antennas | Decatur Genesis-II K band |

Thanks Given
    i'm glad you found a way to transloate it - even though its a somehow strange translation of the subtitles
    Hmmm.. he got the S350 manual .. no idea where he got it from .. didn't find it either - but i found the official german law regulation from the P(hysikalische) T(echnische) B(undesanstalt) in its newest form - it clearly states 10m to be the least requirement for any laser speed measurement device - the 8,31m was the "special" range of the S350 which is not meeting the german requirements.
    https://www.ptb.de/cms/fileadmin/int....20151031B.pdf

just scannes across the various sources, it seems the traffistar s350 could also do photos from behing, but therefore need at least four mounting levels - for each direction it needs a scanner with camera and a flash which is mostly on top of the scanners - with only three mounting levels it can only detect/shoot one direction - in germany its reuired to see one face AND the license plate on the photo - if a motorcycle is detected it could also be shot additionally from the rear - in switzerland and austria most speeding eqipment is shooting from behind ..

in the meanwhile i'm completely confident my repaired ALP is really working - just came home from a trip to Cologne and ALP detected two mobile speed traps on th A3 highway - but one of them was found out to be a toll bridge, which are used in germany to automatically bill the toll for the trucks - its the same technology from Vitronic like in the PoliScan speed ..

Thanks Given
    Just found another interesting Video on YT in regards to the S350 - it shows pretty good the size of the Scanner/Camera unit and the Flash unit:

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael_MA For This Useful Post:

winterbrew (03-21-2018)