Close
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Given

2018 Ford Explorer Install

Hi All,
    Lost my recent small car to the floods in Houston. Looking at replacing it with a 2018 Ford Explorer. I had a triple head ALP set up on the old car that worked flawlessly. Based on the research I've done so far, it seems 3 heads should be sufficient to cover the front of the explorer as well. My question is around placement. I know the ideal thing would be to go with 2 outer ALP sensors and one of the new TX sensors in the middle, but I may hold off for a bit if I can on the tx sensor to save up some cash (the floods made a nice dent in my pocket with the car and also home damage). I can't seem to find too many installs on explorers but I did come across one where he placed his three ALP heads as shown below in the picture. The grill is open here and makes install super easy with no cutting into the grill above. Thoughts on this set up? THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT!!

Thanks Given
    Sorry about your other car due to the hurricane. Nice replacement if you purchase this SUV. The placement for the sensors and to have the TX in the middle for full coverage.

Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,543 Times in 846 Posts
    If you can only get 2 Transponders at this time (but a TX later on) you need to plan now for the final complete Front install in the future.
    With that in mind, your current 3 locations are good w/ an exception. The "outer" 2 Transponders will be greater than 24" apart & will not give sufficient protection against even Legacy Lidar guns as is. However, if you stay in the same current grill openings marked BUT move them "inward" each to the vertical plastic piece, I'm guessing the center-to-center spacing to each Transponder will be ~24".

In the future all you would have to do is add the TX in the middle [& it would also be the perfect spacing (~12") ] required for a proper Triple install.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RedRocket For This Useful Post:

Radarrob (09-15-2017)

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
    If you can only get 2 Transponders at this time (but a TX later on) you need to plan now for the final complete Front install in the future.
    With that in mind, your current 3 locations are good w/ an exception. The "outer" 2 Transponders will be greater than 24" apart & will not give sufficient protection against even Legacy Lidar guns as is. However, if you stay in the same current grill openings marked BUT move them "inward" each to the vertical plastic piece, I'm guessing the center-to-center spacing to each Transponder will be ~24".

In the future all you would have to do is add the TX in the middle [& it would also be the perfect spacing (~12") ] required for a proper Triple install.
    Thank you red rocket for your reply! I actually do have three transponders now as I had a triple set up on my old car. So the install for this explorer would be 3 regular transponders installed in the locations shown in the picture. And then in the future. Change out the center transponder for a new tx sensor for added protection against new guns.

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff106 View Post
    Thank you red rocket for your reply! I actually do have three transponders now as I had a triple set up on my old car. So the install for this explorer would be 3 regular transponders installed in the locations shown in the picture. And then in the future. Change out the center transponder for a new tx sensor for added protection against new guns.
    Well now, that's a whole 'nuther issue & you should have said so from the start !

In that case, I would stick w/ your original layout as you posted !!
    Last edited by RedRocket; 09-13-2017 at 01:11 PM.

Thanks Given
    Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 1228
Size:  133.5 KBName:  20150919_181810.jpg
Views: 1415
Size:  290.9 KB
    Pretty much the same setup. New ride looks nice. And this tested very well with just about every gun we had at the testing site.
    http://radarandlaserforum.com/showth...-Plus-and-AL-PName:  IMG_1816.jpg
Views: 1418
Size:  223.2 KB
    Last edited by SurrealOne; 09-18-2017 at 04:41 PM.

Thanks Given
    Good day everyone. I'm hoping I don't need to start a new thread.
    I have a '19 Explorer Sport & I'm getting ready to add Laser protection.
    I'm not sure if I need to worry about rear protection, in Tennessee, but I do travel to Kentucky & might drive through Indiana to Illinois.
    This is what I'm thinking that I'll need to buy.
    Name:  2020-07-02 (1).png
Views: 1551
Size:  137.7 KB
    My question(s) is/are:
    1) Does anyone know if I'm wasting money on the rear transponders for my area?
    If I'm needed them, would the far sides of the plate indented area be where to mount them?
    If I add the rear transponders, do I need extension cable(s)?
    2) Is the mounting location, in the post above, still considered the best placement?

I'm opting for professional installation, from a shop that installs audio/alarms/remote-starters

Thanks Given
    @FastKatt
    I'm not familiar w/ your States enforcement tactics so for now you can take a pass on Rear protection until you determine if they are needed in the future. (on a large vehicle like your's, you probably would need extension cables)
    Not much Forum activity b/c of the 4th of July holiday & everyone is on the road traveling w/ family likely.

You have to do your homework if you choose to use a "Pro" to do an install for you. Most audio install Shops are "100% clueless" on how to do a proper install. Over the years I've seen so many horrible installs by so-called "Experts" that turned into expensive disasters for the customers.

There are no Forum members very active here for the localities in which you drive who could recommend a true expert professional Shop for your area.
    However, the U.S. Distributor @BestRadarDetectors does have a list of Dealers & maybe 1 might be in your area.- (contact him here by sending a PM)

Otherwise, you need to be your own expert on how to direct the Shop to do it properly !
    An other option is to join another Forum where there are many active members who reside in your State & maybe 1 member "might" know of a competent Install Shop nearby you.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by RedRocket; 07-03-2020 at 11:36 AM. Reason: spelling

Thanks Given
    Thanks for the reply. I'm still researching, so I'll keep up with my homework.
    Can you recommend other forums, or Facebook groups, to join? Or, is that taboo in here?
    I asked the shop if they had installed any jammers, and they said they had. I didn't ask about how many, brand, or if there were issues...
    Last edited by FastKatt; 07-03-2020 at 02:40 PM.

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by FastKatt View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I'm still researching, so I'll keep up with my homework.
    Can you recommend other forums, or Facebook groups, to join? Or, is that taboo in here?
    I asked the shop if they had installed any jammers, and they said they had. I didn't ask about how many, brand, or if there were issues...
    Did they provide pictures of the Install so you could observe the critical dimensions & alignment of Transponders to make sure it was done properly ?
    A very active Forum w/ many members living in your area is RDF.org & maybe someone there can give you a lead to a local qualified Shop w/ a great reputation.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RedRocket For This Useful Post:

Radarrob (07-05-2020)