PDA

View Full Version : Where'd my GPS symbol and speed go?

wailer
07-13-2016, 09:48 AM
After a recent re-configuration I lost the GPS symbol on the app, and it no longer shows my speed. App and hardware were, and still are the latest configuration. It disappeared immediately upon boot up of the new configuration. I checked the GPS itself, and it is still sitting where it was when it was working properly. Net Radar is working properly too. I did a second re-configuration to make sure I hadn't accidentally used an old one, and still no joy. Anyone got any ideas? :confused:

BestRadarDetectors
07-13-2016, 09:57 AM
After a recent re-configuration I lost the GPS symbol on the app, and it no longer shows my speed. App and hardware were, and still are the latest configuration. It disappeared immediately upon boot up of the new configuration. I checked the GPS itself, and it is still sitting where it was when it was working properly. Net Radar is working properly too. I did a second re-configuration to make sure I hadn't accidentally used an old one, and still no joy. Anyone got any ideas? :confused:

It means your configuration file does not have the GPS activated. Please check your config file because you probably made an error.

wailer
07-13-2016, 03:40 PM
It means your configuration file does not have the GPS activated. Please check your config file because you probably made an error.

OK, I went back and very carefully made sure GPS was activated. Three times, reverting back to the defaults before reading the new config file (config.alp was the only file on the reformatted thumb drive each time). No luck. I have a red blinking light on the GPS unit under the hood (normal?).

After my third try, ALP Connect cannot find the bluetooth connection to my phone! The bluetooth module has a green flashing light (I assume this is normal).

I'm not sure what's going on. Each time I plugged in the USB stick, the unit recognized it and responded with the "Data Stored" response, which I confirmed with as many settings as I could on the HiFi module before I tried using ALP Connect. Not sure why ALP Connect has now lost the bluetooth connection. Any thoughts? Sorry to be a pain.

Everything was working fine when I first set it up. I just went in to change some settings and lost GPS, and now Bluetooth!

BestRadarDetectors
07-13-2016, 04:12 PM
OK, I went back and very carefully made sure GPS was activated. Three times, reverting back to the defaults before reading the new config file (config.alp was the only file on the reformatted thumb drive each time). No luck. I have a red blinking light on the GPS unit under the hood (normal?).

After my third try, ALP Connect cannot find the bluetooth connection to my phone! The bluetooth module has a green flashing light (I assume this is normal).

I'm not sure what's going on. Each time I plugged in the USB stick, the unit recognized it and responded with the "Data Stored" response, which I confirmed with as many settings as I could on the HiFi module before I tried using ALP Connect. Not sure why ALP Connect has now lost the bluetooth connection. Any thoughts? Sorry to be a pain.

Everything was working fine when I first set it up. I just went in to change some settings and lost GPS, and now Bluetooth!

Blinking green means you are not connected to BT. Go back to the main screen and reconnect to the ALP.

You did not specify if you are using Apple or Android. If using Apple and you updated the firmware to the current version the IOS app will not work with Radar & GPS because of new changes made and the IOS app for the current firmware has not been released yet. See this notice: http://radarandlaserforum.com/showthread.php/9195-Important-Notice-for-Apple-users-Running-Radar-amp-ALP-GPS-with-new-5-25-Firmware

wailer
07-13-2016, 04:19 PM
Blinking green means you are not connected to BT. Go back to the main screen and reconnect to the ALP.

You did not specify if you are using Apple or Android. If using Apple and you updated the firmware to the current version the IOS app will not work with Radar & GPS because of new changes made and the IOS app for the current firmware has not been released yet. See this notice: http://radarandlaserforum.com/showthread.php/9195-Important-Notice-for-Apple-users-Running-Radar-amp-ALP-GPS-with-new-5-25-Firmware

I'm on Android. Everytime I try to reconnect, ALP Connect keeps retrying to connect unsuccessfully. That's weird since I had no problems the last few days. EVERYTHING was working before, even GPS. I changed nothing with the hardware, though I did check the hardware connections.

wailer
07-13-2016, 04:30 PM
I did a Force Stop on the ALP Connect app on the phone, re-paired the phone with the ALP Bluetooth, and got the bluetooth connection back. Still no GPS however. I am SURE I configured it correctly and it was the only config.alp file (the only file actually) on the reformatted thumb drive. I plugged it it, and turned on the ALP, and got the confirmation "Data Stored." Still no joy on GPS. Did this whole process three times. Is the GPS supposed to have a flashing red light on it?

BestRadarDetectors
07-13-2016, 04:52 PM
I did a Force Stop on the ALP Connect app on the phone, re-paired the phone with the ALP Bluetooth, and got the bluetooth connection back. Still no GPS however. I am SURE I configured it correctly and it was the only config.alp file (the only file actually) on the reformatted thumb drive. I plugged it it, and turned on the ALP, and got the confirmation "Data Stored." Still no joy on GPS. Did this whole process three times. Is the GPS supposed to have a flashing red light on it?

Are you using the attached GPS or your Phones GPS? Is the setting correct in your ALP Connect settings?

wailer
07-13-2016, 04:58 PM
ALP GPS. I've reconfirmed the ALP Connect settings three times. Each time I take the new verified config.alp file and place it on the reformatted thumb drive and plug it into the ALP USB port. I then turn on the ALP, and get the "Data Stored" confirmation. I then remove the USB, and connect to the phone using ALP Connect. No GPS symbol is present, nor speed. I cannot lockout anything. ALP Connect is not recognizing the ALP GPS. The ALP GPS is blinking red. Should I disconnect and reconnect it?

wailer
07-13-2016, 05:09 PM
My ALP GPS is connected into the RG Plugin 3 box, NOT the main controller. Is that correct?

BestRadarDetectors
07-13-2016, 05:10 PM
ALP GPS. I've reconfirmed the ALP Connect settings three times. Each time I take the new verified config.alp file and place it on the reformatted thumb drive and plug it into the ALP USB port. I then turn on the ALP, and get the "Data Stored" confirmation. I then remove the USB, and connect to the phone using ALP Connect. No GPS symbol is present, nor speed. I cannot lockout anything. ALP Connect is not recognizing the ALP GPS. The ALP GPS is blinking red. Should I disconnect and reconnect it?

Email me the config.alp file. I will PM you my email address.

BestRadarDetectors
07-13-2016, 05:19 PM
Your file looks fine.. Are you sure you are not in an obstructed location where the GPS signal is not weak?

wailer
07-13-2016, 05:53 PM
No, it's been working. Just quit today after I uploaded the new config.alp file. GPS in the car works fine too. Is the GPS antenna supposed to blink red?

wailer
07-13-2016, 06:18 PM
Just noticed a changed light sequence on startup. Solid Green>Solid Red>Solid Green>Solid Blue, then, and this is new,rapid flashing green>back to solid blue.

Everything working but the GPS.

GPS antenna has blinking red LED. Set the antenna on the hood of the car with a completely unobstructed view of the whole sky (no obstructions). NE Florida.

BestRadarDetectors
07-13-2016, 09:52 PM
Email me a statistics report and I will try to look into it more tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

wailer
07-14-2016, 10:02 AM
Stats Emailed.

wailer
07-15-2016, 12:23 PM
OK, this post is for anyone that has made it this far in the thread, and those having problems with their display not showing GPS info.

I was so focused on the hardware and the config.alp software configuration that I failed to notice a change in the GPS setting on the 4th page of the Android App where the APP Configurations are made. GPS source had changed from ALP to MOBILE. Changing it back to ALP got everything working again. Not sure how it changed to begin with, whether I accidentally did it or if an update changed it, BUT, lesson learned: Check not only your config.alp file, your hardware connections, AND your ALP CONNECT settings! :rolleyes-new:

A very special shoutout to TOM at Best Radar Detectors. His IMMEDIATE response to over a dozen emails back and forth and what you see in this thread were so refreshing after having dealt with other radar detector companies and waiting over a week at times for a simple response, if it ever even came. And no, these guys aren't paying me! Their customer service is better than any I've experienced for ANY company, and was extremely helpful in narrowing down the problem to find the solution. From what I am seeing, ALP and NetRadar are by far the best bang for the buck, and have pretty much solved the K-band falsing issues. Their customer service is the icing on the cake! You'd be hard pressed to find better! :love_heart: :hail: :applouse: :love-struck:

wailer
08-16-2016, 05:54 PM
UPDATE: It appears when reconnecting the ALP Connect app when I return to the car, I sometimes get a "Checksum failed. Reverting to default settings." When I reconfigure with my USB, and check the ALP Connect settings the GPS is set to "Mobile" instead of "ALP." So, heads up to anyone not seeing the GPS logo when you should . . . Go into page four of your ALP Connect settings and reset the GPS to "ALP" to regain it, and consequently, your ability to suppress unwanted signals.

RedRocket
08-17-2016, 05:07 AM
OK, this post is for anyone that has made it this far in the thread, and those having problems with their display not showing GPS info.

I was so focused on the hardware and the config.alp software configuration that I failed to notice a change in the GPS setting on the 4th page of the Android App where the APP Configurations are made. GPS source had changed from ALP to MOBILE. Changing it back to ALP got everything working again. Not sure how it changed to begin with, whether I accidentally did it or if an update changed it, BUT, lesson learned: Check not only your config.alp file, your hardware connections, AND your ALP CONNECT settings! :rolleyes-new:

A very special shoutout to TOM at Best Radar Detectors. His IMMEDIATE response to over a dozen emails back and forth and what you see in this thread were so refreshing after having dealt with other radar detector companies and waiting over a week at times for a simple response, if it ever even came. And no, these guys aren't paying me! Their customer service is better than any I've experienced for ANY company, and was extremely helpful in narrowing down the problem to find the solution. From what I am seeing, ALP and NetRadar are by far the best bang for the buck, and have pretty much solved the K-band falsing issues. Their customer service is the icing on the cake! You'd be hard pressed to find better! :love_heart: :hail: :applouse: :love-struck:I don't know how Tom does it, He seems to be able to pack 48 hrs of Service to his customers when there's only 24 hrs in the day.

BestRadarDetectors
08-17-2016, 06:36 AM
UPDATE: It appears when reconnecting the ALP Connect app when I return to the car, I sometimes get a "Checksum failed. Reverting to default settings." When I reconfigure with my USB, and check the ALP Connect settings the GPS is set to "Mobile" instead of "ALP." So, heads up to anyone not seeing the GPS logo when you should . . . Go into page four of your ALP Connect settings and reset the GPS to "ALP" to regain it, and consequently, your ability to suppress unwanted signals.

Don't use the existing USB File on your drive. Create a new configuration file and the issue will go away.