PDA

View Full Version : Leveling question

Robotpedlr
01-17-2015, 12:01 PM
I finally got my Cayenne and am ready to mount the front ALP heads. The grill slats are in a good position to mount the two units, but they are not level (V shaped, so both top and bottom of the slat is about 5-10 degrees off). What are others doing to get a level mount in that sort of situation. I am planning on mounting with double sided heavy duty 3m tape. Are people just adding more tape to the front to create an offset? There are not any other surfaces that I could mount the ALP mounting brackets too. And to further compllcate the install the bottom of the slats (preferred location) is only about 3/4" deep. The top of the slat is about 1 3/4", which may give me more room to work, but would make them slightly more visible.

Here are a couple of pics. One head on and one from looking up at the bottom of the slats. I appreciate any feedback. Mounting location will be the second slat down on either the left or right side of the upright slat.

hussein
01-17-2015, 01:38 PM
I strong recommend against layering the double sided tape. I have tried it several times and never got the angle right. After wasting time doing this, I really think brackets are the best way to go. It allows you to adjust the heads very easily.

If you really want to use VHB on the grill, you could try this:

*image gallery lost*

Yellowcab
01-17-2015, 06:06 PM
Use the brackets and screw them into the bottom of the bumper cover. You should use a thick sheet metal screw no longer than a 1/2 inch. The brackets are bendable. You will need to cut them to size and bend them in a vise. That is how I all leveled and aligned my sensors during my instal.

TurboDriver
01-17-2015, 06:31 PM
You should use a thick sheet metal screw no longer than a 1/2 inch. The brackets are bendable. You will need to cut them to size and bend them in a vise. That is how I all leveled and aligned my sensors during my instal.

Yup, like Yellowcab says. I custom bent my brackets and used Silicone caulking (good 50 yr black 100% silicone window caulk) along with the tape to help hold brackets in place.

Yellowcab
01-17-2015, 10:58 PM
Screw the brackets into the bumper cover or grill slats. I don't use tape and don't recommend mounting brackets to a car with tape.

HOiYA
01-18-2015, 12:04 AM
Screw the brackets into the bumper cover or grill slats. I don't use tape and don't recommend mounting brackets to a car with tape.

Unfortunately this is the way to go. The grill fins are not flat. I went through this with both my LI and ALP installs on my CTTS.

Robotpedlr
01-18-2015, 10:53 AM
Thanks guys... will try to bend the brackets and mount them to the interior of the top side of the grill. It will result in them being a little higher (between the top slat and top edge), but I think that is still centered enough to divide the distance between the plate and headlights.

Nicholat
01-18-2015, 12:22 PM
Just installed an ALP and used the supplied brackets. I bent them in a vise which insured that there were square. My previous installed I used double side tape attached to the grill of the car which like everyone has said does notwork out well. you learn from your mistakes. Take the time to do it right the first time. Once you do it with tape it cannot be adjusted and it very hard to it adjusted in all three planes.

tmcmenam
01-18-2015, 02:28 PM
I screwed my brackets into the bumper cover to get the placement right then used quick steel putty in between the top of the bracket and the grill to secure it even further

Robotpedlr
01-20-2015, 09:34 AM
Thanks for everyone's tips. I finished the install yesterday (except for the rear). I ended up following the suggestions and screwed the brackets to the top of the grill housing. This resulted in having the two ALP heads slightly closer to center then my initial goal (wanted them one slot more to towards the outside edge), but the grill housing curves around and that would not have worked for mounting with the bracket. The STIR head is mounted to the lower end of the grill housing. All are level and pointing straight down the road. Will have to get it tested if there is ever a testing event in the Seattle area. See pic below.

Now I have to figure out if the effort for the rear two sensors is worth it. As I feel getting rear laser hits are very limited. I dont really see a way to get from the lip above the license plate opening into the car w/o drilling a hole or modifying each of the license plate light units to allow the wire to pass in that way (more likely).

pics of rear for next part of project

licwid
01-21-2015, 10:56 PM
Those map lights look just like mine. They are fairly cheap to replace so I drilled a hole in a corner of each of them and ran the wiring through that way. I then used some black RTV silicone to seal them up and make it less noticeable.

Robotpedlr
01-22-2015, 08:54 AM
Those map lights look just like mine. They are fairly cheap to replace so I drilled a hole in a corner of each of them and ran the wiring through that way. I then used some black RTV silicone to seal them up and make it less noticeable.

Thanks Licwid. Would love to see a pic if that is not too much trouble. Also, have you ever been hit from the rear?