PDA

View Full Version : filter lens

max
01-07-2015, 02:48 PM
My ALP sensor filter lens have scratches.
Is it possible to replace the filter lens?
Thanks

BestRadarDetectors
01-07-2015, 03:01 PM
My ALP sensor filter lens have scratches.
Is it possible to replace the filter lens?
Thanks

No, They are not replaceable.

dukes
01-07-2015, 05:00 PM
Plenty of how to videos showing how to repair scratches on plastic. Just make sure the product you are using is non destructive. I am not suggesting you do this. I have not tried it, so I have no idea if it would work with the ALP lens. http://www.ehow.com/how_4826786_remove-scratches-clear-plastic.html

FJR1300
01-07-2015, 06:09 PM
Do scratches affect the performance? I'd understand if gouges did, but scratches ?

kimberdan
01-07-2015, 06:20 PM
Look you do this at your own risk, But i can tell you that when i got my CI the receiver had scratchs in it and i used Plastic X on a soft cloth and use front to back motions with it untill it drys up, wipe with a clean dry cloth and you should be good if not re try.. I use this stuff for head light restorations.....

BestRadarDetectors
01-07-2015, 06:22 PM
Do scratches affect the performance? I'd understand if gouges did, but scratches ?

IR should see right through normal scratches but if they are deep it might have an effect. Post up some photo's.

Mirage
01-07-2015, 07:12 PM
I've wet sanded the lens before like in the link that dukes posted. It's not that hard. Go down to your local auto shop and buy some 1000 / 3000 grit wet sandpaper. Make sure you wet both the sandpaper and the head with soapy water and lightly sand with the 1000 grit. Don't worry it will get foggy and look like you've completely ruined your ALP as there will be even more scratches. Remember to keep it wet constantly with the soapy water. After it's smooth to the touch (won't look it), move on to the 3000 grit sandpaper. Same process lots of soapy water and light sanding. Finally get some car polish and begin polishing the lens. You should see the foggy look clear up and it will be crystal clear with no scratches. Take your time and you'll do fine. It's scary as hell the first time, but when you see the results you'll be impressed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sZg9cj2hxI

tawwwd
01-08-2015, 12:25 AM
If they're REALLY bad then I would suggest what Mirage said.

If the scratches arent too bad before taking sandpaper to them (which will take off material) I would start with just a light to medium rubbing compound liquid or paste followed with a quick polish to see if that fixes them first....If not then youll probably need to do the sanding and polish method.