PDA

View Full Version : Replacement head connector

Vortex
11-06-2014, 10:09 PM
Looks like I'm gonna need to crimp a new connector for one of my heads. The connector got a little damaged when my installed pulled it through my car's firewall. It worked for a while, but currently the ALP only sees 3 heads but all 4 respond. Weird, I know. I haven't tested the setup yet to see how well it jams, but I'd rather it fully recognize all 4 heads.

The connectors that plug into the CPU use ethernet-looking plugs, but they're 6-pin, not 8. They're wider than RJ11 phone jacks. They look more like RJ45 ethernet plugs. My local Home Depot only carries 8 pin RJ45 cables. I haven't seen the 6 pin ones anywhere.

Does anyone have a source online on where I could find replacement connectors to crimp onto the end of my current cable?

awj223
11-06-2014, 10:23 PM
Is it a RJ25 connector? You can buy them on Digikey.

I don't know about you, but if my installer screwed up the connector, I'd make them fix what they messed up.

AirMoore
11-06-2014, 10:29 PM
I don't know about you, but if my installer screwed up the connector, I'd make them fix what they messed up.

x2 The point of an installer is so that you don't have to deal with these issues. I would (kindly) explain to them what is happening, and see if they are willing to resolve it. Most any reputable installer should.

Vortex
11-06-2014, 10:38 PM
Yeah I went back there and he offered to fix it. Apparently when plastic like this is injection molded, if you reheat it it goes back to its original shape. If you take a closer look at this ethernet cable, you'll see pieces of plastic that separate each pin.

When he pulled the connector through the slot, it bent those pieces of plastic sideways so that the pins didn't fully make contact with the connectors in the CPU. I used a pocket knife to realign them and it worked for a while (ALP saw 4 heads and they functioned perfectly in testing), but in time problems started to arise again and it would start throwing errors with not being able to see the head.

Anyways, I took it to him and he briefly took a lighter to the plastic which presumably helped the plastic return to its original shape.

Having him fix the problem is definitely the way to go about it. I said that I'd reach out and find out what's going on with the ALP being able to see and respond to the head but not actually seeing it when I have it relearn how many heads it can see. Odd to see the ALP not see the head officially and then still respond to laser with the head.

So long story short, as long as I know what type of connector to get and/or have a replacement one available, it should be pretty straightforward to put a new one on.

Thanks for the info about it being an RJ25 connector and where I can get one. :D

AirMoore
11-06-2014, 11:53 PM
Things happen, as long as the installer is willing to correct the mistake, that's the most important part. Even professionals (in any capacity) are not infallible.

It's how they respond that matters most, sounds like a good outcome here. We got some good info too boot! All is well that ends well.

Generally, whenever I am fishing these things through I wrap them to protect them. (Now that I plan to install my ALP tomorrow, watch me eat my words)

Vortex
11-07-2014, 12:57 AM
Yeah I'm not at all concerned about it. It'll definitely get taken care of. I'm just trying to figure out what connector is needed since there's still something wonky going on despite the fact that the head responds to laser.

Good luck to you on your install! I hope it all goes well for you! Definitely take the time to wrap your connectors when fishing them through, lol. :excitement:

Mirage
11-07-2014, 05:08 AM
So the reason you are still able to somewhat work is because ALP heads go through a startup process that basically checks the connectivity and establishes what you have connected. Once this is complete it periodically checks again to make you aware if there is a problem however regardless of what you have plugged in the pins on the cpu are still going to behave as if you have all heads plugged in. Therefore even if you have a bad receiver connection it will still try to jam. Basically the pins on the cpu are hot regardless of what configuration you have. I've tested this with my bench setup in which I change the head configuration all the time. I would say 90% of the time I start it up i get a head error but the bench testing reveals they are still firing. Again its more of a notification to you that something is wrong or has changed.

specifics
11-07-2014, 07:06 AM
Pointed sharpie cap and some black tabe would have avoided that.... some installers do need a bit more common sense at times but I guess the personalization goes away at times when the product/car don't have a "personal value."

spankyaf
11-07-2014, 07:21 AM
Pointed sharpie cap and some black tabe would have avoided that.... some installers do need a bit more common sense at times but I guess the personalization goes away at times when the product/car don't have a "personal value."

Nice tip ... A bit of liquid soap helps this process as well

RedRocket
11-07-2014, 07:40 AM
Yeah I went back there and he offered to fix it. Apparently when plastic like this is injection molded, if you reheat it it goes back to its original shape. If you take a closer look at this ethernet cable, you'll see pieces of plastic that separate each pin.

When he pulled the connector through the slot, it bent those pieces of plastic sideways so that the pins didn't fully make contact with the connectors in the CPU. I used a pocket knife to realign them and it worked for a while (ALP saw 4 heads and they functioned perfectly in testing), but in time problems started to arise again and it would start throwing errors with not being able to see the head.--Anyone this unprofessional would never get my biz again! You ALWAYS protect the connector,I certainly do for ANY job I've ever done.The fact that the conn. got damaged in the manner it did confirms to me great force was applied when pulling on the wire when routing it.It's likely the internal wires are for sure stress broken & frayed. The internal 24 or 26 gauge stranded wire probably has multiple individual broken strands. I would replace the whole cable.

Anyways, I took it to him and he briefly took a lighter to the plastic which presumably helped the plastic return to its original shape. - Can't fix stupid w/ such an amateurish repair attempt !

Having him fix the problem is definitely the way to go about it. - The hell it is,having him pay for a new cable & installing yourself is. I said that I'd reach out and find out what's going on with the ALP being able to see and respond to the head but not actually seeing it when I have it relearn how many heads it can see. Odd to see the ALP not see the head officially and then still respond to laser with the head.

So long story short, as long as I know what type of connector to get and/or have a replacement one available, it should be pretty straightforward to put a new one on.

Thanks for the info about it being an RJ25 connector and where I can get one. :DThe receiving & transmitting functions are not multiplexed on the same wire lines,rather they are isolated from each other & that is why you have the receive malfunctions. Whereas when an incoming threat is detected by one of the heads the CPU commands the Fronts or Rears pairs to fire together.

BestRadarDetectors
11-07-2014, 09:06 AM
You can cut the plug and put a new one on and you should be fine. You can also replace the cable but that might be a lot more work.

awj223
11-07-2014, 10:02 AM
The receiving & transmitting functions are not multiplexed on the same wire lines,rather they are isolated from each other & that is why you have the receive malfunctions. Whereas when an incoming threat is detected by one of the heads the CPU commands the Fronts or Rears pairs to fire together.

So 2 pins for Rx, 2 pins for Tx, and 2 pins to test whether the head is there?

OrlNmE
11-08-2014, 07:47 AM
Next week there is a laser and radar testing in the Cocoa Beach,Fl area if you want to get yours tested.

Vortex
11-18-2014, 10:16 PM
Quick update.

I ordered a connector off of Digikey but it looks like the connectors aren't as standardized as they are for ethernet.

I got this one (http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?KeyWords=A9122-nd&WT.z_header=search_go). It slides into the CPU port perfectly, but it doesn't click and secure itself into place the way the factory connectors do.

Rather than ordering more connectors, I decided to just get a replacement cable and have my installer install a new cable altogether which they've agreed to do. At no charge too which makes sense and is the right thing to do. Major props to Tom as well for wildly good customer service in hooking me up with a replacement cable.

I won't be able to get the cable installed until next month due to going home for the holidays, but that should be alright. The ALP has started throwing defective head errors now due to the damaged connector so I've unplugged it and am running one head up front for the time being. Fortunately I've got a small car, the ALP is very sensitive, plus I'm not driving all that much lately and rarely see laser in the first place so it's not a major issue for the time being. That said, it'll be great to finally get the ALP's up and running 100% again.

Vortex
12-03-2014, 12:12 PM
Next update. Tom was great about the replacement cable. Much to my surprise though, that didn't fix it. Looks like it's actually a defective head. Not sure what caused that or how it happened, but it's really great to have a jammer system that lets you know when something goes wrong so you can do something about it.

Vortex
12-08-2014, 03:59 PM
Latest followup. Looks like it was a bad head AND a bad cable. Surprised to see that happen.

Tom sent me a brand new head altogether and that fixed the issue.

I found that with a brand new cable but the existing bad head, it continues throwing a defective head error on startup.

When I use the old existing cable with a new head, it boots up properly but doesn't respond to laser. (Scary.)

When I use the new head and new cable, it all works properly and resumes normal operation.

Once I get the head and cables permanently swapped out of my car, I'll be sending the problematic units back to Tom and AL so that they can take a look at it.

A big thank you to Tom for his awesome customer service as always.

BestRadarDetectors
12-08-2014, 04:03 PM
I am fairly certain that your damaged connector most likely damaged the head. In any case glad we got to the bottom of it and you are good to go now.

awj223
12-08-2014, 04:04 PM
When I use the old existing cable with a new head, it boots up properly but doesn't respond to laser. (Scary.)
Yikes! You mean doesn't alert you that anything's wrong, and doesn't respond either?

BestRadarDetectors
12-08-2014, 04:13 PM
Yikes! You mean doesn't alert you that anything's wrong, and doesn't respond either?

The cable was damaged during the install by the installer. This is a fault we see when installers pull hard on the telco connector and try to squeeze the connector though a hole that is too small. This type of damage will result in errors but until the new head is installed and a factory reset is run to tell the ALP to memorize the new configuration it will not alert to an issue on a port that was not listed as active again.

Vortex
12-08-2014, 04:34 PM

Just went out to go show the issue on video and now the unit is responding properly with the new head and the old existing cable. Interesting.

Either way, it does appear to be an issue due to damage from the installation. My installer is going to be redoing everything for me free of charge due to the issue.

ROCKEY
12-12-2014, 10:03 AM
Next week there is a laser and radar testing in the Cocoa Beach,Fl area if you want to get yours tested.

Do you know what day(s) next week the laser testing is happening? And who is conducting it?

BestRadarDetectors
12-12-2014, 10:48 AM
Do you know what day(s) next week the laser testing is happening? And who is conducting it?

That post was from 11/8, That Florida testing has passed already.

ROCKEY
12-12-2014, 05:17 PM
[QUOTE=BestRadarDetectors;41478]That post was from 11/8, That Florida testing has passed already.[/QUOT

I didn't realize. thanks